Institute / http://www.gerontology.ru/
St. Petersburg Institute of Bioregulation and Gerontology, founded in 1992 with the purpose of realization of fundamental problems in the fields of gerontology and bioregulation and introduction into medical practice of the results of 20 years of experimental and clinical studies of a new class of supplements – peptide bio-regulators were created in the research Laboratory bio-regulators of the Military Medical Academy. SM Kirov. In 2001, the Institute became part of the Northwest Branch of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences.
The activities of the St. Petersburg Institute of Bioregulation and Gerontology are focused on the following tasks:
– basic scientific research, improved methods of diagnosis and prognosis of diseases, the development of research and production programs in the fields of Bioregulation and Gerontology;
– development, clinical research, production and introduction into clinical practice of supplements, modern diagnostic and treatment technologies for the early diagnosis, prevention and treatment of age-related pathology;
– Dissemination and promotion of scientific knowledge in the field of Bioregulation and Gerontology (the organization of scientific conferences, publishing, etc.).
– The study of the properties and mechanisms of action of peptide bio-regulators, the impact of peptide bio-regulators on the mechanisms of aging
– Development and introduction into medical practice of new peptide bio-regulators for the prevention of premature aging and age-related pathology
Currently, the St. Petersburg Institute of Bioregulation and Gerontology is the only one in the North-West region of a research institution engaged in the development of aging and current scientific and practical, clinical and diagnostic center of gerontology and geriatrics.
Institute includes 15 laboratories, grouped into three divisions: biogerontologii, cell biology and pathology, clinical gerontology and geriatrics. All laboratories are equipped with modern facilities, which allow the high technological level of experimental and clinical research in the field of genetics, chemistry, biochemistry, immunology, physiology, molecular and cellular biology, morphology.
The research activities of the Institute is carried out in the following areas: the study of the mechanisms of aging, the study of the properties and mechanisms of action of peptide bio-regulators, development and introduction into medical practice of new drugs on the basis of peptide bio-regulators, the study of markers in vivo diagnosis of diseases associated with aging, the study of demographic aspects aging of the population.
The Institute is actively involved in the implementation of scientific development in the European and world clinical practice, performing 12 research topics in accordance with the agreements on scientific cooperation in priority areas with 20 countries. International co-operation of the Institute is presented with a wide range of institutions and organizations.
Achievements of the Institute are protected by 125 patents, including 40 foreign patents (U.S., Japan, Switzerland, Australia, etc.), 70 marks.
Cooperation with NPCRIZ
Scientific Production Center of Revitalization and Health is the official representative and a strategic partner of the St. Petersburg Institute of Bioregulation and Gerontology, and is constantly expanding partnership with the Institute in the field of innovation.
Thanks to our common work of revitalization and Health Center was recognized at the federal level. In November 26, 2011 at the consulting center of the All-Russian public organization “League of health of the nation”, which is located in hall number 5 All-Russian Exhibition Center in Moscow, was the grand opening of the Public Chamber of the Institute. During a reception we organized a free consultation to all the citizens of Russia, within the framework of the federal program “Active Aging”. Reception consisted of professionals, senior researcher of the Institute of Clinical Pathology age: Roman N. Pinaev, MD, an oncologist and David Amiranovich Gorgiladze, MD, a urologist, a pharmacologist.
During the event, revitalization and Health Center was given appreciation from the President of the League of Nation’s Health, General Director of Scientific Center of Cardiovascular Surgery. ANBakulev, Academician of RAMS Leo Bokeria Antonovich. Thanks for the contribution declared in the implementation of the programs of the League of Nation’s Health, prevention of age-related diseases and premature aging, reducing premature mortality from biological causes and extend the working period of life.
In November 30, 2011 the Scientific and Production Center Revitalization and Health received an official letter from the St. Petersburg Institute of Bioregulation and Gerontology. In this letter, WH Havinson praised the work of the Centre and the Revitalization of Health, as the official representative and strategic partner of the Institute, who is heading into the gerontological direction of the League of Nation’s Health, to implement long-term projects aimed at improving the quality of life for all segments of the population and adoption in society values of a healthy lifestyle.
Dear friends and supporters such serious results we have achieved only through a serious and well-coordinated work. We thank everyone for their active role in our great cause.
Our goal – a healthy, strong and prosperous population of the Earth, and our task – to go only forward, conquering new heights!
– Collaborating Centre IAGG
Non-governmental cooperation is carried out with the United Nations (UN), the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics (IAGG). The Institute is included in the list of research centers cooperating within the “United Nations Programme on further studies of aging in the XXI century”. The research, medical and practical work of the Institute are carried out in close cooperation with scientific institutions of Russia and Europe.
In April, 2009, the Board of the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics in St. Petersburg at the St. Petersburg Institute of Bioregulation and Gerontology were established as Collaborating Centre IAGG (IAGG Collaborating Centre). In July 6, 2009 at a meeting of the Board of the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics in Paris (France) within the XIX World Congress of Gerontology and Geriatrics solemn presentation of the certificate: Collaborating Centre IAGG director of the St. Petersburg Institute of Bioregulation and Gerontology corresponding member of the Academy of Medical Sciences, Professor VH Khavinson. Professor WH Havinson presented a plan of IAGG Collaborating Centre for the period of his work from April 2009 to March 2013
– Cooperation with the Society of RAS
In 1994, at the initiative of the Scientific Council at the St. Petersburg Institute of Bioregulation and Gerontology for the first time in the Russian Federation was established a Gerontological Society of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Elected president of the Society Doctor of Medicine, Professor VN Anisimov, Vice President – corresponding member of the Academy of Medical Sciences, Professor WH Havinson.
In 1997, at the XVI World Congress of Gerontology in Adelaide (Australia) Gerontological Society of the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics (IAGG). Professor VN Anisimov IAGG elected to the Council and the Council of the European Division IAGG, corresponding member of the Academy of Medical Sciences, WH Havinson approved by his deputy in the above advice.
Over the 15-year period, in Russian were organized 44 regional offices of the Gerontological Society, the total number of members which exceeded 1,500 people and has 14 academicians of Medical Sciences, 6 corresponding members of the Academy of Medical Sciences, 190 doctors and 290 candidates of sciences.
The most significant results of the Company’s activities include the organization of, and participation in the organization of scientific conferences on Gerontology and Geriatrics. During the period of 1994-2010 years held more than 200 events, many of which were implemented with the active participation and support of the Institute.
In August 2000, the Institute was the lead organization for the preparation and holding of the II European Congress on biogerontologii in St. Petersburg, organized jointly with the European Biological Section of the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics Gerontological Society of Sciences, with the participation of 350 experts from 33 countries.
In November 2002, the Institute together with the Gerontological Society of Sciences organized and hosted a scientific conference “Priorities in gerontology”, dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the Institute.
In recognition of the high authority of the Russian science and gerontology leading position of St. Petersburg in this area is to appeal to the European Section IAGG Gerontological Society of Sciences and the Institute with a proposal to organize and conduct the VI European Congress of the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics 5-8 July 2007 in St. Petersburg .
Scientific research work
– Studying mechanisms of aging
* A study of the functional morphology of the thymus, the gastrointestinal tract and prostate gland in aging. Immunocytochemistry revealed characteristics of these cell bodies in the age involution.
*The research on genetically modified animals (transgenic and knockout mutant) to study the predictive power of biomarkers of homeostasis (genotype, age of the parents, the state of the reproductive function, etc.), as well as a number of environmental factors for life expectancy and the emergence of neoplasms. The findings suggest an important role of DNA repair disorders in the mechanisms of aging.
* The study of the expression of hormones and signaling molecules in the human placenta in women of different ages. It was established that in the course of pregnancy, the placenta does not grow old alone, and its aging takes place synchronously with the overall aging of the female organism.
* The effects of ehpitalona the process of dividing human somatic cells. Found that epithalon increased the number of divisions of human somatic cells by 30-40% due to the induction of telomerase activity and telomere elongation. The fact of overcoming the Hayflick limit of human skin fibroblasts.
* Neuro immune endocrine studies of aging mechanisms, happening through the main cells DNIES (diffuse neuro immune endocrine system) and its basic hormones – serotonin and melatonin. Firstly, evidence of the important role of violations neuro immune endocrine interactions were obtained in the mechanisms of aging. Geroprotective properties of melatonin and serotonin were set, which allowed us to recommend their use in geriatric practice to restore the disturbed during aging of the immune and endocrine systems. Showing oncological properties of these hormones. The conception of the role of DNIES neuro immune endocrine in the mechanisms of aging.
* The changes of cell behavior DNIES in the pathology of the gastrointestinal tract in patients with middle and old age. Firstly, diagnostically significant changes were set in the functional activity of cells DNIES the pathology of the gastrointestinal tract in patients with middle and old age for the assessment of prognosis and selection of therapy.
* The effect of anti-diabetic medications (metformin and diabenola) at the age dynamics of indicators of biological age, life expectancy and the development of spontaneous tumors in mice. Found properties of gerotectors, set the prospect of their use as a means of preventing cancer and premature aging.
– Peptide bioregulators
As the result over the years of research of the Institute was the creation of a new class of supplements – peptide bio-regulators, the use of which allows effectively carry out prevention of premature aging, as well as to treat diseases associated with aging.
Employees of the Institute are the authors of a number of supplements of preventive medicines authorized by Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation and implemented in industrial production: 6 geroprotective supplements, 30 species of bio-regulators of cell metabolism, as well as five highly synthetic peptides, most of which have no analogues abroad. Carried out the chemical synthesis of more than 100 peptides with high biological activity and slowing the aging process.
Many years of experience in the use of peptide bio-regulators in health care has shown high efficiency of this class of compounds in various diseases and pathological conditions, including in diseases that are resistant to treatment with other drugs.
* Experiments have revealed the complementary interaction of short peptides from regions of DNA that explains the mechanisms of peptide regulation of gene expression.
* The mechanisms of antioxidant action and vilon ehpitalona caused by the effect of the peptides on the individual components of the mitochondrial respiratory chain.
* Installed retinoprotektornye and antioxidant properties retinalamine monotherapy involutional central chorioretinal dystrophy in elderly and senile age.
* The mechanisms of stress-protective effect of the peptide kortagena that enhance theoretical understanding of the role of short peptides in the mechanisms of correction of extreme states of the organism during ontogeny.
* Set a cardioprotective properties epithalamin underlying its anti-arrhythmic, anti-ischemic and anti-depressant action.
* The effectiveness of the action vilon in treatment of elderly and senile patients with purulent-inflammatory diseases of the maxillofacial area to warrant a significant reduction in the level of intoxication syndrome.
* The efficiency of complex influence of peptide bio-regulators on skin aging. The necessity of using biocontrol methods of therapy in aesthetic medicine.
* The effectiveness of the inclusion of peptide bio-regulators in the conventional scheme of treatment of chronic prostatitis in order to improve the quality of care of patients with this pathology.
– Studying markers of lifetime diagnostics of diseases
* The role of neuroendocrine cells of the prostate gland and the hormones, they produce melatonin and serotonin in aging. The expression level of these hormones is a diagnostic and prognostic information in a test of tumor diseases of the prostate gland.
* The role of melatonin as a biological marker for the diagnosis and prognosis of a number of diseases associated with aging.
* A study of extracerebral expression of key molecules associated with Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative processes in the tissues available for biopsy, with a view to the possibility of using the established phenomenon for the in vivo diagnosis of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
Institute of Management
KHAVINSON VLADIMIR KHACKELEVICH
Director of the St. Petersburg Institute of Gerontology and Bioregulation of North-west Branch of the Russian Academy of Medical Science, President of the European Branch of the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Vice President of the Gerontological Society of the Russian Academy of Science, corresponding member of Russian Academy of Medical Science, Honoured Scientist of Russian Federation, laureate Prize of the USSR Council of Ministers and the prize winner of USSR Academy of Science, Professor, Doctor of medical science. He graduated from the Military Medical Academy (SM Kirov). His research interests are related to the creation, experimental and clinical studies of peptide bioregulators – geroprotectors, as well as the development of theoretical and practical bases of bioregulatory therapy and gerontology. He has published over 600 scientific works including 25 monographs. Author 123 domestic and foreign patents.
KOZLOV LENAR VASILYEVICH
Deputy Director of Organizational Development St. Petersburg Institute of Bioregulation and Gerontology of the North-West Branch of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Honored Doctor of the Russian Federation.
He has graduated from the Military Medical Academy. SM Kirov. The colonel of medical service reserve.
His research interests are related to the clinical study of peptide bio-regulators – geroprotectors training of specialists in the field of social and clinical gerontology.
LV Kozlov – the famous organizer of the military and civilian health care. The organizer and first chairman of the Compulsory Health Insurance Fund of St. Petersburg.
He has published over 100 scientific papers.
RHYZAK GALINA ANATOLYEVNA
Deputy Director for Science and New Technologies of the St. Petersburg Institute of Bioregulation and Gerontology of the North-West Department of Medical Sciences,
Professor, Doctor of Medical Sciences.
Highly qualified scientific expert in the field of experimental and clinical studies of peptide geroprotective funds. The main focus of her research is to study the mechanisms of aging and the development of methods for the prevention and correction of age-related pathology, based on the application of the pathogenic peptide bio-regulators. Galina has been involved in the development of technology and organization of production 35 pharmaceutical products and dietary supplements, the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation approved for medical use.
The author of 98 scientific works.
She is a scientific advisor of the Center Revitalization and Health.
The staff of the Institute is 150, of whom 80 researchers. The Institute employs highly qualified specialists, including one corresponding member of the Academy of Medical Sciences, 27 professors and doctors of sciences, 27 candidates, 9 doctors of the highest category.